I don’t want you to get the wrong idea ….. I think my previous posts show that I am in no way miserable here in Egypt, but there are a few things that I do miss. So, here goes … I could only think of 5. ha.
1. Family – This is at the top of the list for a reason. I really miss the daily chats I used to have with my mom and sisters and good friends. I actually have the ability to call the states, but the time difference really messes things up. Email is good, but it’s not the same. I haven’t lived close to home since I got married, but I have never lived this far either …. It’s a small world we live in, but Egypt is still really far away from home.
2. Beauty/ Hygiene Products – Yes, we have soap. (I figured that would be the first thing that came to your mind) We have soap and we have not adopted any sort of love for
stinky people the all natural smell. But … we don’t have a very large selection of stuff to choose from in that area. The commissary does have a small selection of a few major brands, ie. Dove, Herbal Essence, Oil of Olay, but we certainly can’t get any high-end brands like Mac or Lush. Now, we can get all this stuff delivered via the APO, but we have to wait 2-ish weeks. I miss the convenience of walking into Target (oh, Target) or Macy’s and picking up what I need.
3. Easy Phone Calls – I know you’re thinking – Wha? Allow me to explain. If you have any experience at all with speaking to someone whose first language is not the same as yours, you know that it can sometimes be difficult. Accents and improper word use can make things confusing, but when you are face to face you have the advantage of body language and facial expression to help you communicate. All advantages are lost on the phone. I find myself speaking very loudly and sounding like a toddler who can only speak in 2 word phrases. Just to give you an idea of the difference …. here is a little mock conversation about getting the dry cleaning delivered ..
Now, the fun part is waiting to see what they bring. HA!
4. Lack of Boabs – I have already written about my boab beef so I’m not going to rehash it here, but I am also not going to encourage the rest of the world to subscribe to the idea of a boab. We have actually come a long way with our boab and everyone is getting along well now, but still ….. I could do without.
5. Green Space – I really hate to even mention this because we are one of the very few people here who has anything resembling a yard, but overall there is a serious lack of anything green here. I miss parks and trails and wide open spaces for the kids to run around in . The other day I saw an Egyptian family picnicking in a 4 foot wide grassy median that divides a boulevard — serious lack of green space people.
I’m now curious see if this list will grow the longer I’m here ….. hum.